Did you know that car accidents cause more than 50% of all traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) in the U.S.? A TBI may result if the head is subjected to a jolt or blow from blunt trauma or from a penetrating object.
Any strong blow to the head can cause the brain to move back and forth, striking the inside of the skull. This movement can cause bruising and bleeding of the brain as well as tearing of the nerve fibers. The skull may be fractured, but not always.
Symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injury
After any vehicle accident or a fall, assault or sports injury that involves some type of blow to the head, the victim may experience:
· Speech and language problems such as slurred speech, issues with speaking and being understood, difficulty understanding and problems with reading or writing.
· Cognitive difficulties like memory, confusion, concentration, attention and impulsiveness problems.
· Vision problems ranging from partial to total loss of vision, blurring, light intolerance and difficulty judging distance.
· Sensory issues including hearing problems, loss of taste or smell and interpreting touch and temperature.
· Social-emotional difficulties like depression, irritability, aggression, emotional ability and lack of awareness.
Of course, a TBI may cause physical changes as well. Some of these include chronic pain, sleep and appetite changes and problems with bladder or bowel control.
Note that the symptoms and signs of a traumatic brain injury may not emerge right away. Some accident victims may appear fine, but their conditions can decline rapidly because of delayed trauma in the brain.
What to Do After an Accident – TBI
Individuals who have sustained injuries in any type of accident should get emergency treatment right away. Many injuries are not immediately apparent, especially those that involve brain trauma in the absence of an obvious wound.
Be sure to ask medical personnel specifically about any type of brain injury. If a TBI is suspected, diagnostic procedures and tests should be made. The sooner a brain injury is detected, the more quickly that vital treatment can begin, reducing the risk of additional complications.
We Can Help If You Have Been Injured in a Vehicle Crash
If you or a family member has been harmed by a defective product, car accident, truck accident, construction accident, slip and fall or any other type of personal injury, please contact StolzenbergCortelli, LLC Attorneys at Law immediately. Please call us for a free consultation. Attorneys Howard Stolzenberg and Terrence James Cortelli, personal injury attorneys in White Plains, Nyack and New York City, will fight to secure justice for you and your family. You can reach us at 800-494-0889 or contact us via the website.