NY Car Accident Attorney: Identify And Avoid Road Rage
Road rage is a term often used to describe someone who gets overly upset when driving. In fact, it is a serious condition that is a top cause of auto accidents. With people working so much and stress levels high as ever, there has been an increase in the number of incidents that have been attributed to road rage. Often it is a learned behavior by observing others, such as parents or the media.
Road rage can occur when something doesn’t go a driver’s way, such as being cut off in traffic. The driver becomes frustrated to the point where there emotions take over their judgment, causing anger. The driver possibly feels a need to retaliate in some way that can lead to a physical attack or vehicular homicide.
Especially common on highways and freeways, road rage happens here when increased speed is a factor. This creates more disastrous conditions and is easier to involve other drivers who have less time to slow down and avoid crashes.
All drivers have the potential to succumb to road rage, particularly if we are in a hurry or that we believe what we are doing is more important than anyone else. The most important rule to remember when it comes to avoiding road rage is to always stay calm and focused on your driving. On the contrary, do not allow yourself to feed into others’ tempers. Some ways to avoid road rage:
- Always use directionals when turning or changing lanes so other drivers are aware of your intentions.
- Do not tailgate other drivers. It is dangerous if they need to stop fast and can cause frustration on their behalf.
- Let others pass you and move to the right lane if necessary.
- Take the high road and apologize if you make a mistake, even with a simple hand wave.
- Listen to relaxing music when driving.
- Keep a safe distance if a driver cuts you off or is acting aggressive.
- Call police if you feel that another driver’s road rage is putting you in danger. Do not let the driver follow you to your home.
Contact us if you or a loved one has experienced an accident at the hands of another driver’s road age and are in need of an experienced NY car accident attorney.