Prevent Auto Accidents During Rain And Heavy Thunderstorms From A NY Car Accident Attorney
Driving during the rain or a thunderstorm can be as treacherous as ice or snow. Storms reduce visibility, cause a loss of control behind the wheel, and a whole host of other dangers. Risks of driving in heavy rains include:
- Slippery road surfaces with even the smallest amount of rain
- Loose debris on the roads
- Slippery mud
Hydroplaning is especially dangerous. If you drive too fast, your car can actually go above the water. You are no longer driving on the surface of the road, with no way to steer, no traction, and a total loss of control.
Thunderstorm Driving Tips:
When it rains, especially with thunder and lightning, there are safety measures drivers can take to avoid a car accident.
- Slow down your vehicle.
- Turn on radio for emergency information.
- Allow extra distance between you and the car in front of you for extra braking time.
- Use headlights and not high beams.
- Never use cruise control
- Give yourself extra time to avoid rushing.
- Routinely maintain tires, lights, and windshield wipers.
- Avoid standing water and puddles. They may be deeper than they appear and cause damage to the car’s electrical system.
- Avoid moving water that can carry your vehicle away.
- Stay in the center lane so that water runoff doesn’t affect your car.
- Avoid driving in a thunderstorm completely if possible and wait for it to pass.
If you have been injured in a car accident due to another driver’s negligence during a rain or thunderstorm, contact an experienced NY car accident attorney today.