Top Six Common Causes Of Car Accidents
Car accidents can range from a minor fender bender with minimal damages to severe damages leaving your car unusable, permanent injuries and even death. The best defense for a car accident is to prevent it from happening in the first place; and the odds of avoiding a car accident improve when you know the top causes of car accidents. Here are the top 6 common causes of car accidents for New York drivers and beyond:
- Distracted Driving – surprisingly, distracted driving is the number one cause of car accidents in the United States, even more common than drunk driving accidents. Distracted drivers may use cell phones while driving, text and drive, or fiddle with the radio – anything that causes the driver to focus their attention on anything other than the road is distracted driving and can result in car accidents.
- Drunk Driving – if you’re driving while drinking or while under the influence of alcohol, chances are you’re going to cause a car accident. Your focus and functioning are greatly decreased when alcohol is involved, so use a designated driver if your activities will include drinking alcohol.
- Driving at Night – when visibility is decreased, the risk of a car accident increases. Statistics show that night driving doubles the risk for car accidents because you can’t see what’s ahead of you.
- Teen Drivers – there is a reason young drivers pay higher car insurance rates! Teen drivers are often the cause of a car accident due to their inexperience driving and their lack of carefulness.
- Snow, Ice and Rain – many car accidents are caused by poor weather conditions. Snow and ice make the roads slippery and can result in a car that doesn’t respond the way you expect when you turn the wheel. Trying to stop on slippery roads takes longer, and your car can slide out of control.
- Drowsy Driving – when you drive when you are tired, your reaction time is much like that of a drunk driver. Always pull over and take a rest or nap if you feel yourself become fatigued behind the wheel.